|Date:||Tuesday, June 12th, 2012|
|Location:||First United Church
Corner of William and King Sts
Uptown Waterloo, Ontario
Every second year, Kitchener-Waterloo Knitters’ Guild (KWKG) members submit knitted projects to be modeled in a fashion show after being adjudicated by a guest designer. A celebration of the diversity of members? interests and creativity, the event showcases members’ talent and celebrates the craft we enjoy.
For 2011-12, the Guild is embracing A New Take on Tradition, culminating in our 2012 Adjudicated Show. We are delighted to announce that our adjudicator is Fiona Ellis, a reknowned designer who has taken knitting towards a new tradition. The programming for our monthly meetings will focus on areas covered by the different categories. Entries will be collected at the guild meeting in May (May 8, 2012) and is open to all members of the KWKG in good standing. Please download the 2012 entry form and follow the directions to enter.
Adjudicated Show Categories
- From a Pattern
- My First (The first item of a “type” that you’ve knit, ex. first socks, first shawl, first colourwork project, etc.)
- ANTT from a pattern (ex. Swedish Fish Mitts, Hat Heel socks, Intentional pooling scarf):
- Original ANTT Design “Structure” (a non-traditional method of constructing a traditional shape or item, ex. Socks worked from heel)
- Guru **
- Anything but a Sweater
- Guru **
- Concept Knitting, Textile Art, Non-Traditional Knitting
- Original ANTT Design “Interpretation” (please select a sub-category)Ex: Structure of project is “standard” but the fabric/canvas is ANTT, ex. Spilly Jane’s beer or fish fair isle mitts
- Guru *
- Adapted from or Inspired by an Item or Pattern
- Not for Adjudication, display only ***
First, Second and Third place prizes will be awarded in each category or subcategory.
The KW Knitters’ Guild gratefully acknowledges the generosity of its prize sponsors:
- Alpaca Acres
- Blue Sky Alpacas
- Blue Moon Fiber Arts
- Brooklyn Tweed
- Eclectic Closet Knitting Patterns
- Estelle Yarns
- Gemini Fibres
- Green Mountain Spinnery
- Handmaiden Fine Yarn
- Indigo Moon Yarns
- Karatstix Notions
- Lorna’s Laces
- Madelaine Tosh
- The March Hare
- Old Mill Knitting Company Inc.
- Quince & Co
- Schoolhouse Press
- Shall We Knit?
- Shelridge Farms
- String Theory
- Sundara Yarn
- Sweet Georgia
- Tanis Fiber Arts
- Tom Bihn
- The Unique Sheep
- Upper Case Books
- Wellington Fibers
- Westminster Fibers
* ANTT – A New Take on Tradition these categories are to encourage members to innovate or represent in their submissions aspects of the craft which are changing in modern times while keeping ties to knitting traditions.
** Guru is used for the category known as professional kntters. The intention is to expand the scope to include those whose work is regularly recognized through awards, those who earn some income through teaching knitting, pattern design, and/or those who are regularly recognized as expert knitters. The Adjudicated Show committee reserves the right to reassign entries to the guru category if they deem the entry is of appropriate caliber/technical level.
** Machine knitting is welcome in any category; however, this category is designed to specifically showcase the craft.
*** Items entered in this category are ineligible for prizes.